Information and communication technologies (ICT) have been evolving through continuous innovation, and people have started to acknowledge the enabling role of these technologies in overcoming environmental problems. In the past, ICT contributed to society mainly by improving efficiency in the use of resources and energy. Today, the enabling force of ICT goes beyond efficiency to encompass the vast processing power of the technologies themselves.
Contribution of ICT in our Society:
- It is acknowledged that ICT could deliver an enormous positive environmental impact through the more efficient use of resources and energy, increasing the sustainability of consumption and production, making transport more efficient and assessing the environmental consequences of different activities. ICT are already contributing to minimizing the environmental impact of the office, the factory and the supply chain. A company in Japan believes that one of the potentially most effective and exciting ways to protect the environment is to apply the massive computing power now available today. Indeed, we are already beginning to see this computing power being used in innovative ways to solve a wide range of environmental problems.
- The most important issue is increased leisure time, and as more work is done in less time.
- Another effect of ICT on the society is the introduction of home shopping over the Internet, this aspect could possibly result in people never leaving their homes, doing everything from home, possibly resulting in house bound individuals who could not leave their houses even if they wanted to.
- The use of ICT in education add value in teaching and learning, by enhancing the effectiveness of learning, or by adding a dimension to learning that was not previously available. ICT may also be a significant motivational factor in students’ learning, and can support students’ engagement with collaborative learning.
- It is in this premise that educational technology and e-learning is taught in or out of the classroom since educational technology is used by learners and educators in homes, schools, businesses, and other settings.
Positive and Negative Impacts of ICT
▪︎Access to Information
▪︎Improved Access to Education
▪︎Reduced Personal Interaction
▪︎Reduced Physical Activity